File a Report

It is your right to choose whether to report the assault or not.  There are several confidential resources that can help you make an informed decision regarding reporting.  You may choose to report the assault right away, after taking some time to get support and take care of yourself, or you may choose to never report the assault. It's entirely up to you.  If you are a student, you should not be deterred from reporting a sexual assault because you were intoxicated at the time of the incident.  Students who disclose they were under the influence of alcohol or other drugs during the process of reporting a sexual assault will not be disciplined.

Whether you choose to report the crime or not, you are encouraged to contact the University CARE advocate where all intervention services are confidential, free, and available to any UC Davis student, staff, or faculty.  

Certain University officials – supervisors, faculty, coaches and other authorities -- have an obligation to respond to reports of sexual harassment and sexual violence, even if the person making the report requests that no action be taken. If you prefer to stay anonymous, consider talking with one of the UCD confidential resources before making an official complaint.

Reporting to law enforcement

If you would like to report to the police, the first step is to determine which law enforcement agency to report to; this is based on the location of the sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, or stalking. For example, if the incident occurred on UC Davis property, the report would be made to the UC Davis Police Department.

Generally, a report to the police will involve speaking with a first-response patrol officer who will make sure you are safe, gather basic information about the incident, and evaluate the need for a medical exam to collect evidence. If an evidentiary exam is necessary, the exam is NOT done by the officer; it is conducted by a specially trained medical practitioner. You might also be contacted by a detective for a follow up interview to obtain a more extensive account of what occurred. As a victim of sexual assault or sexual violence, you have a right to have a victim advocate present with you during the evidentiary exam and all law enforcement and prosecutor interviews.

Local Law Enforcement Agencies:

The CARE victim advocate can help you to determine which law enforcement agency to contact if you wish to report the assault to the police.

Reporting to UC Davis

If you choose to file a report with the University and the perpetrator is a UC Davis student or employee, the University will take prompt action to respond to your complaint and will impose disciplinary sanctions against the accused if the University determines the accused violated University policy. For more information about the process of reporting to the University, see below.

What happens if I report sexual violence to the university?

UC Davis takes all complaints of sexual harassment and sexual violence very seriously.  Your safety and well-being are among the University’s highest priorities, and you have the right to a learning or work environment that is free from any type of harassment or discrimination.  UC Davis responds to reports of sexual assault, dating/domestic violence and stalking through the University's sexual harassment and sexual violence policy and procedures.

First Steps

If you choose to report to the University, the University CARE advocate will arrange for the two of you to meet together with someone from the campus Harassment & Discrimination Assistance and Prevention Program (HDAPP). They will explain the UC Davis administrative procedures for responding to complaints of sexual violence. They will also determine with you whether any interim protections need to be put into place. Some examples of what UC Davis might do include:

  • Creating a plan to limit or prevent contact between you and the other person
  • Taking steps to increase your sense of safety and security while you continue with your classes, work and other activities
  • Providing confidential emotional support through Counseling and Psychological Services, the Academic and Staff Assistance Program, and/or the University CARE advocate.

After your meeting with HDAPP, your complaint will be reviewed to determine if a formal investigation should be conducted. Most sexual violence cases are handled through a formal investigation.

Formal Investigation

If an investigation is warranted, the Title IX Officer will appoint an official investigator. You and the accused will be notified of the investigation. The investigator will meet separately with you, the accused and other potential witnesses to gather information from each of you. When that process is complete, the investigator will prepare and submit a report addressing whether or not University policy was violated. If there is a finding of a policy violation, the University will consider disciplinary action against the accused. The University will also consider whether any other action should be taken, such as remedies that may be appropriate for you.

Who will know about my report?

The University will protect the privacy of everyone involved in a report of sexual harassment or sexual violence to the greatest degree possible under law and University policy. If you report sexual violence to the University, a small group of administrators will consult to determine if an investigation is appropriate. That group includes the campus Title IX Officer and Sexual Harassment Officer; and a representative from one of these units as appropriate: Academic Affairs, Student Judicial Affairs and Human Resources. These people will be informed of both parties’ names and the allegations.

If an investigation is charged, the accused party will not be told who brought the complaint forward. However, your name will probably appear in the notification letter sent to the accused by the Title IX Officer. For example, that letter usually contains this language (this particular example addresses alleged sexual assault):

  • “I’m writing to notify you that I have received a complaint that you engaged in conduct that may have violated the University’s sexual harassment and sexual violence policy. Specifically, it is alleged that you sexually assaulted (name) at (location) on (date)...”

Witnesses who are interviewed by the investigator will also know about the report, but they won’t be told who made the report. Until the investigation is completed, no one else would have reason to be told about your report. Professors, parents, supervisors, co-workers or others are not informed. If you need assistance getting extensions, changing your residence, or with any other interim actions, the University CARE advocate can generally provide that assistance without providing any details to others.

At the conclusion of the investigation, the Title IX Officer will notify the accused student and the alleged victim about the outcome of the investigation. The Title IX Officer will also inform the parties about how to obtain a copy of the report if either party wishes to do so.

If the accused is a UC Davis student, the investigation report will be released to Student Judicial Affairs. SJA will review the report to determine whether to proceed with the disciplinary process. If SJA conducts a formal hearing, the investigation report will become part of the evidence that will be reviewed at a disciplinary hearing as described below. Those who are involved in the hearing process, which is described in more detail below, will also know about your report.

It may be helpful to know that certain University officials – supervisors, faculty, coaches and other authorities -- have an obligation to respond to reports of sexual harassment and sexual violence, even if the person making the report requests that no action be taken. If you prefer to stay anonymous, consider talking with one of the UCD confidential resources before making an official complaint.

Is there anything else the University can do for me while my complaints are pending?

If you decide to notify the University about sexual violence, the University will work with you to determine if any remedies should be provided to you while your complaint is pending. Some common interim remedies include:

  • No contact directives from SJA
  • Class or housing reassignments to ensure that there is no contact between the parties
  • Assistance in receiving late drops or other arrangements for classes
What about other forms of sexual harassment?

Most reports of sexual harassment that do not involve sexual violence are resolved through Early Resolution. This can take many forms, including:

  • Helping you communicate directly with the other person.
  • Arranging for a UC Davis official to talk with the other person (a “no-fault” or “notice” conversation.)
  • Helping you and the other person agree to certain changes in how you interact.
  • Separating you and the other person.
  • Negotiating a disciplinary agreement with the other person.
  • Conducting training on sexual harassment for you, the other person, or a department or group.
  • Using Counseling and Psychological Services or the Academic and Staff Assistance Program for emotional support.
  • Other strategies you and the University agree to try.

A formal investigation may be conducted in non-sexual violence cases under certain circumstances. Again, the Title IX Officer and Sexual Harassment Officer, with other appropriate administrators, will review each complaint to determine the best response.